Sunday, May 25, 2008

Claire's Rather Infamous Death vs. Life Philosophy

Due to a suggestion by my friend Ellie and and lack of anything better to do, I shall post my long, boring thoughts about life and death. Don't be freaked out by this. I'm not trying to make you take up my opinion. It just that, and opinion. Ok, so here goes.

Are life and death not the very same thing? If you think about it, they thrive upon each other, and thus, neither could exist in this imperfect, mortal world without the other. What would death be without life? If nothing was born and grew after fires consumed and, and death struck out its hand, if the phoenix never rose from the ashes, there would be no point to anything, as everything would die out very briefly, every plague would devastate the human population beyond repair, and the Earth would become a sparse wasteland, standing out in stark contrast to the sanctuary for all known forms of life it once was .... oh, wait a minute. There's no life. None of that would've ever even been there in the first place! There would be no chance for anything to die out if it wasn't even alive!
After all, death is merely a short, inevitable trip from this small, limited world to the next, which, obviously, no living human knows anything about. As for life, what good would it be without death? If we all lived on this Earth forever, it would become overpopulated quickly, and tedium or fights for basic necessities and resources and terror would sink into the lives of everyone. There would be no end to the good things of this world, but there would also be no end to the pain, hatred, and other miserable things that, unfortunately, exist here. Yeah, if there was no death, after probably less than your basic lifetime nowadays, I'd be sick of it all and want to commit suicide, but I wouldn't be able to because there would be no death! It would be awful.
It is believed by many, including me, that (worthwhile) eternal life exist in a place most commonly known as heaven, another world open to those who lead meaningful, righteous lives here in this mortal pit stop of existence. But what human can comprehend eternal life? Earth would be pointless if eternal life existed in its state of imperfection. It would be a living nightmare. Life and death are a circle that will exist until the very end of the world, and they depend upon each other. Are you starting to see my point?
They say life and death are complete opposites, antonyms, an oxymoron when used in the same context; beginnings and endings. But no, there are plenty of different ways to look at it. What classic pessimist wouldn't say that life is an ending to the sweet innocence of nonexistence? And death is but a new beginning, the start of life in the next world. Now then, death and life are each both beginnings and endings.
The mathematical commutative property states that a+b = b+a, so life and death must be equal! Life = beginnings+endings and death = endings+beginnings. b+e = e+b
From a Christian viewpoint, death is life because Christ's death signifies the path to eternal life and the price paid. Yes, indeed, death is a new beginning.
"One short sleep past, wee wake eternally/ and death shall be no more; death, thou shalt die."
-"Death Be Not Proud" (poem)
The poem "Death Be Not Proud" is famous for a reason: it tells the truth. It states that death is inevitable and there are many ways to die. Death overflows in the minds of some, and makes them dread it, but death is really just a gateway to eternal life. Technically, even life in hell is eternal life, because even just being dead and gone into nonexistence forever would be more of a relief than being tortured for an eternity. Just being nonexistent wouldn't allow for one to be brutally tortured. A world like this one with no death would be a living hell, and there is no death without life (what would be there to die?).

Well, anyway, I hope you liked it. I know it got really repetitive, and I apologize for that. I just really wanted to get my point across when I was originally writing this.

Other updates: I'm going to update my Jared fanfic soon (I already have the next chapter written down, but I have to type it up), and I'm going to take another look at my original Jacob fanfic and brainstorm some ideas for the next chapter. The same goes for my Cullen band fic. Also, I created a Gothic outcast quiz on Quizilla. The URL is: http://www.quizilla.com/quizzes/7237346/are-you-a-gothic-outcast
Finally, I'm currently excited because I've just won an E-bay auction for this awesome Ibanez bass guitar, and the special edition of Eclipse (by Stehpenie Meyer) comes out in just six days! That's less than a week, and it's on a Saturday, which means I'll probably get to go to the bookstore to check it out, so I'll get to see the cover and first chapter of Breaking Dawn! Cheers!

No comments: